Fifth Net Worth Overshare

There are a lot of things more important than one's net worth.

Recently, I volunteered for a coding workshop for girls, stopped to watch some pinwheels at dusk, took a long walk through Shelby Bottoms Park, saw the stunning work of fifty ceramists, and spent some quality time with my cat.

I would argue that all of these things are more important than my net worth, and yet, net worth overshares tend to be among my most popular posts.

Why?

J. Money has compiled The Ultimate List of Blogger Net Worths and it's probably one of the most popular sections of Rockstar Finance.

As J. eloquently points out, “there’s something so captivating about watching people’s money grow (and decline) as the months tick by. It’s just as inspiring to watch them go UP, as it is when they go down – if only to show these bloggers are just as human as the rest of us.”

For those of us who enjoy a deep dive into someone else's bank account, I think it's safe to say we just want to know we're doing all right.

But how is “all right” measured?

Our incomes, careers, and long-term goals are not the same.

We live different lifestyles in an assortment of different cities.

For these reasons (and more) there's diversity in our personal finance portraits.

To Overshare or Not To Overshare?

Now that most people in my life know this blog exists, I've questioned the value of being so candid with my finances.

Does it really matter, and more importantly, does anyone even care?

Personally, I learn a lot from looking at other people's net worths. They offer a range of benchmarks in which to set my own personal finance goals and I appreciate having the curtain pulled back on an otherwise tight-lipped topic.

So, without further ado, here's my fifth net worth overshare:

Spreadsheet of quarterly net worth updates

The solid jump in my net worth over the past quarter that can be explained by a few factors:

1) A couple of years ago, I stumbled upon a Vanguard study explaining how dollar-cost averaging just means taking risk later.

Ever since, I've committed to maxing out my Roth IRA with $5,500 early each year. It's an incredibly low maintenance, set it and forget it strategy.

This portion of my portfolio is 100% index funds, and its strong performance mirrors the overall stock market.

2) My side hustle has really helped me step up my savings over the past three months. Being frugal can only get you so far. At a certain point, it's crucial to find ways of generating additional income.

There's no doubt a side hustle can be beneficial, but how much side hustle is too much? I'll be finding out in the coming months.

3) Nashville's real estate market continues to explode. Our housing inventory is the lowest it's been in eight years and the transplants keep arriving.

With major residential developments happening on nearly all sides, it's hard to see the point of restricting my .75 acre inner city property to just one dwelling in the future.

Readers: Does net worth matter to you?

Liking what you’ve read? Follow Cashville Skyline on FacebooktwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest!

• Tonya@Budget and the Beach April 20, 2015 on 8:45 am

Although I just read yours (congrats BTW), I try not to read those in general because I don’t want to end up comparing my life to someone else’s life. Either I’m going to be doing better or worse…but whoever I am, it’s my own journey. Lots of people do use it to inspire them, but I end up feeling kind of bad about not being able to contribute at the moment. Still, very happy for YOU! 🙂 It does seem Nashville is the new Austin these days. Gotta admit watching that silly TV show has my interest piqued!

• J. Money April 20, 2015 on 10:26 am

Hot dogs! I can never get enough of these type posts 🙂

• Broke Millennial April 20, 2015 on 11:21 am

I’ve resisted sharing my net worth on my blog for 2.5 years now. Partly because I want something to remain secret and also because I’d lose the right to the moniker “Broke Millennial.” 😛

Your second point is my biggest motivator at the moment. Being frugal can really only get you so far. I’ve set some lofty goals lately and my dad pointed out that even adjusting for raises at work, I’d need to figure out how to earn more to reach my goals. Bring on those side hustles!

• Shannon @ Financially Blonde April 20, 2015 on 12:31 pm

I have a friend who owns a home in Nashville and 3 years ago when we went to refi her mortgage she had to pay extra to close because her appraisal came in so low. Fast forward 3 years and she just had a real estate developer over her significantly more than her house was valued and it was an all cash deal that she took. So crazy!

• Debt Hater April 20, 2015 on 3:00 pm

Nice job on the networth increase! I personally enjoy reading all these types of posts, as I like to see the numbers and real progress behind everyone’s story.

I try to do the same with my Roth IRA, putting money in as soon as it becomes available. Timing the market doesn’t seem to be worth the effort.

• Mel April 22, 2015 on 2:47 pm

I agree with using other’s net worths as bench marks for myself. I think it’s even more beneficial in personal blogs because you have even more of a sense of the person’s life – whether they live proportionately to how you do or have similar debts to yours and what they’re doing to hit their savings goals. Or sometimes someone’s life is so wildly different from your own, that can make it just as interesting to watch how their finances work too.

• brian April 24, 2015 on 10:35 am

Wow, that’s some serious gains in the value of your house in a very short period of time. I guess thats one of the benefits of living in the booming nashville area.

Our house value has gone sideways since we purchased it 4 years ago….which is fine, as we do not plan on selling it any time soon.

Thanks for being brave enough to share your NW. I’m not quite there yet 🙂

• Kate @ Money Propeller April 27, 2015 on 7:10 pm

Great job Kate! I agree with you that side hustle is such a big help when you want to increase your savings.

• The Net Worth of Personal Finance Bloggers April 30, 2015 on 11:51 pm